January is a time for good resolutions, and giving up animal products for the month helps reduce your carbon footprint, as well as giving yourself a chance to recover from the over indulgence of the festive season. This recipe is cheap, nutritious, quick, and very easy to digest. It is my go-to dish for days when I feel a bit under the weather. And, of course, it is delicious.
Mixed Veg Kitchari
Servings: 4 each Calories: 277kcal
- 3/4 cup long grain white basmati rice
- 3/4 cup quick cooking lentils such as red lentils
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garam masala, more if you like it spicier
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 or 2 Indian bay leaves
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 to 2 cups chopped vegetables
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Toast the cumin seeds and cloves on stove top over medium heat until cumin seeds change colour slightly. (This step is optional).
- Wash the lentils and rice.
- Put all the spices, the lentils and rice into a pan.
- Add 5 cups of water instead and the rest of the ingredients as above. Cover partially and cook for 22 minutes, then check to see whether it is done.
- If you like garnish with coriander, lemon juice and pepper flakes and serve as is or with chutneys, or poppadums.
- This is the clever bit. If you like the dish, next time mix a jarful of spices for future use, making the recipe extremely quick to make.
Variations (enough to stop it ever getting boring!)
- If you have a pressure cooker use only 3.5 cups of water and cook on low pressure for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 green cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick to the spice bag.
- Use other spice blends like curry powder or Jamaican curry blend or anything else you fancy!
- Use moong dal instead of half or all the red lentils
- Use brown basmati rice and brown/green lentils, black eyed beans or mung beans. You will need to add more water and cook for longer.
Adapted from Vegan Richa https://www.veganricha.com/2017/12/khichdi-jar-mixed-vegetable-kitchari-mix-instant-pot.html